Your fitness journey was off to a great start! You were making gains, losing weight, seeing changes in your body composition…whatever your goal was, you were getting there, one day at a time.
But then, you hit a rut.
The scale stalled, your body started aching, and your motivation practically ran out the door.
Worst of all? It feels like nothing you’re doing makes a difference.
Frustrating? Yes. Normal? Completely.
Plateaus. They happen to most everyone. Our bodies get stuck. Same workouts. Same diets. Same weekly check ins. Same everything.
As humans, we are adaptable by nature. And just like your body adapts to the seasons, it can adapt to your regime as well. Unfortunately, sometimes that means your progress can be temporarily stalled as a result.
But, not to worry! There are plenty of ways to push past a plateau, and today, I’m going to walk you through a few of them!
- Change up your routine! This is key. If you do the same exercise over and over again, your body is going to become accustomed to it, which may be why you’re not seeing those great changes in your physique you were seeing when you first started working out. So, try a spin class, go to yoga, lift some weights. Anything that will shock your body and give you that push forward you need!
- Switch up your style! If you love lifting weights, that doesn’t mean you have to completely change what you’re doing! If you always lift heavy with low reps, maybe try out a high volume workout with lighter weights and more reps. If you’re a natural born runner, try switching out those long distance runs with sprints!
- Add something to your workout! Go for a walk after your yoga class, add in a 10-minute run, throw in some plyo during your lift. Sometimes getting those few extra minutes of sweat time in is enough for your body to break free from that plateau!
- Make sure you’re eating enough! Even if your goal is weight loss, you still need to be fueling your body with the nutrients it needs! Not having enough food will only do your body harm, and just like your body can adapt to your workout routine, your metabolism can adjust to cope with a low intake. So, eat your protein and your veggies, and throw in some sweets for good measure! To see results you have to be taking care of yourself!
- Know change will come! Plateaus can be frustrating, but it’s important to keep in mind that we are our own worst critics. A fitness journey doesn’t follow a linear path. There will be bumps along the way, but it’s moving forward and staying motivated that will make the difference. You will get past this!