Who remembers eating sloppy joe as a kid?! Well, here’s our recipe that makes it with lean ground turkey instead of beef – giving you a more macro friendly version. Not only is a healthy option, it’s super easy and quick to make.
(Makes 2 servings)
- 1lb lean ground turkey (we used 93/7)
- Cooking spray
- 1 red pepper
- 1/2 large onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup sugar free ketchup
- 1/8 cup Bragg liquid aminos
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Dice up the red pepper and onion and set aside.
- Spray skillet with cooking spray and sauté red pepper and onion. Cook for about 5 minutes, until they start to soften and onions start to become translucent.
- Sprinkle in salt and garlic powder and stir in.
- Add the ground turkey and break it up with a spatula. Cook until browned.
- Add ketchup, liquid aminos, and tomato paste and stir to combine.
- Let cook on low heat for at least 10 minutes. The longer it cooks the more the flavors will develop. I like to simmer it for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve however you'd like: straight out of a bowl, over sweet potato or zucchini noodles, on bread, etc.!
385 calories; 44g protein, 18g fat, 10g carbs, 3g fiber